With the Bank Holiday weekend fast approaching, I thought I’d share a family favourite recipe which I hope you’ll enjoy. My partner Del has 3 grown-up daughters and whenever they come round for dinner, this is what they ask for. One of them has a boyfriend who hates rice. Won’t touch it. When he came round and could smell this cooking though he said he’d try a tiny bit of the rice with his chicken. Two platefuls later, I think its safe to say he’s a convert!
The chicken can also be cooked on a barbeque when we eventually get that type of warm weather. (Notice I said ‘when’ not ‘if’. I’m the eternal optimist!) It is all just as good cold as it is hot, so perfect for parties or next day for lunch. I’m yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like this so I hope you do too.
Quick note, the rice uses celery seeds. I once gave this recipe to one of Luke’s teachers and she used celery salt thinking it was the same type of thing. It has to be seeds! They can be tricky to find. I know Morrisons used to sell them in the herbs and spices section.Not sure if they still do though. I get mine online in a big bag as I love adding them to many recipes.
CORIANDER HONEY CHICKEN
2 lbs chicken breast, cut into large chunks
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground ginger
1.5 tsp ground coriander
pinch of ground turmeric
pinch of cayenne pepper
1-2 tsp runny honey
coriander leaves, to garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper and honey. Mix until smooth.
- Add the chicken to this marinade and stir it in well, making sure all the chicken has a coating. Cover with clingfilm and leave to marinade for 1-2 hours, turning the chicken occasionally.
- Preheat grill to low/medium heat, and cook the chicken for 12-15 minutes, turn the pieces over, baste with the leftover marinade and cook for another 12-15 minutes until well browned.
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 tbsp soy sauce
1.5 tsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
cayenne pepper to taste
- Thoroughly combine all the above ingredients in a small bowl until very smooth. Serve with the chicken.
YELLOW SESAME RICE
10 oz basmati rice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 inch piece of cinnamon stick (half a stick )
generous pinch of celery seeds
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp seedless raisins
1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
generous pinch of ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
0.75 pt cold water
- Wash rice well. Leave to soak for 30 minutes in cold water to remove as much starch as possible. Place in a sieve and run cold running water over it until the water runs clear. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat and add cinnamon stick and celery seeds. Stir once and add sesame seeds. Stir again and add raisins, another stir and quickly add the carrot, salt, turmeric and rice.
- Saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring, then add the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly, turn heat very low, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, leave for 5 minutes, then stir gently with a fork to separate the grains of rice.
- Serve and enjoy!